Monday, April 20, 2009

Pros and Cons of Blogging

Blogging was something I had heard very little about until this class. I never had really seen a blog before and had certainly never blogged myself. The only time I could even remember hearing the word blog was on a talk show and I guess I really didn't pay attention because until this class I had no idea what blogging consisted of. I'm not really sure how I personally feel about it at this point. My life has been so time consuming it has been very difficult for me to find the time to really put forth in this area. However, I do see were blogging good be beneficial to a lot of class rooms. Not really sure how beneficial it would be to a physical education class.

If I were a teacher in a subject like English, I could see were blogging would be very beneficial to both the teacher and the students. Students are more interested in working on a computer these days and what better way for a student to be creative than using their blogs to peak their interests. They are able to express themselves for not only their teacher but other students in their class, their school and basically other parts of the world. They can share their opinions, thoughts, and questions to make their learning experience more interesting.

Teachers can use blogging to monitor the progress a student is making in their class. She can ask the questions and have them write on the topic and expand their thoughts. They can then have the students read other classmates work and see how each student interprets what has been taught. By doing this it allows a more creative way of teaching where the students receive a more well rounded view of the subject being taught.

As for the negative, I feel blogging is very time consuming. The way school classes are these days, it doesn't allow kids to have a life. When you add blogging to the mix that gives them even less time. If you substitute the blogging for their creative writing it wouldn't be quite as bad but I feel like we are already losing so much by taking pen and paper away from students. Yes I know that today's world is a technology world but what happen to the golden days of making things personal.

I read Joyce Fisk's class blog and felt she had very interesting views on the subject matter from week to week. She seemed to take the needed time to research her material and write a well thought out blog. I enjoyed her opinions and views on the subject matter and felt that by reading her posts I found myself changing my thoughts and views on some of the related areas.

1 comment: